Monday, August 24, 2009

Overseas Schools

So today was new family orientation for the school on post. It is an old school building with K-12 all in the same big building. Half of the building is the Elementary of K-6 and then the rest is High School. All students share the cafeteria at different times. For as old as the building is it is not too bad. They will be moving into a brand new building for the 2010 school year. That is exciting. Anyway, the school has a new principal. He used to teach at the High School so he is not new to the area. He seems really nice. There is a total of 577 students in grades K-6 as of right now. However, every day new students are registering so who knows how many there will be. There are 5 first grade classes with about 18 in each class. We are hoping to put Madison in the Italian immersion class. There were lots of kids who signed up and it is done by a lottery. We won't know until the weekend before school starts if she is in that class or not. If she makes the lottery then she will spend the first half of the day learning everything in Italian and then English the second half of the day. If she is not in the class she will still get an Italian cultural class every week. She already know several other first graders and walked down the hallway like she owned the place so I have no worries about her. We also bought her a school t-shirt for spirit days. She put it on right away and wore it most of the day. I also learned that there is not much of a Parent Teacher organization. The President had never been to a meeting, but took the job so it would not be disbanded. Not a very optimistic way to start the year. I guess I might have to go in there and shape things up a little. I have already joined and volunteered for many things. I am sure that is no surprise to those that know me well. I can never just sit back and not put my two cents into the situation.
Skype has become very popular in our house. We have only chatted with Jeff's mom so far, but the kids are loving it. They had to call her tonight before bed just to say goodnight as they knew she had the day off work. It is quite interesting to be able to see someone while you talk. I don't mind that, but I hate looking at myself in the little corner. We are going to try Madison's fiddle lessons this Wed. via Skype. Unfortunately, she has not practiced at all this summer. I am sure after a lesson or two she will be back up to speed though as she picks it up so quickly.
I had quite an experience with the gas this weekend. I did not fill up the van last week. The gas stations that take NATO coupons aren't open on te weekends. So, I waited until today to fill up. However, when I pulled into the station I was running on fumes. I had to drive past the first one because it was closed for holiday. I won't let that happen again. It took 60 liters to fill it up. It would have cost 75 euro or about $105. Can you imagine paying that about every two weeks.
Tomorrow they are delivering 2 kitchen cabinets. Once they are in I can finish the house. I can't wait. Jeff figured out how to fix my closet too so that should be done in the next few days and I will be back in operation. It will be nice to be unpacked and have other things to move on to. I have until Oct. when I start back to working on my Master's so I want to use that time to catch up on scrapbooking and pictures.
Time to stop and watch a rented movie. The free selection for the library is limited, but they are free so we are watching a made for tv baseball movie. Should prove to be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. It was great talking to you on Skype. You know I always have tons of questions for you as I live vicariously through you. :P

    ReplyDelete